We decided to take a road trip to San Fransisco for Christmas. Experiences over stuff is our family motto, especially when we can travel! We do this trip from LA to SF a lot when we need a metropolitan city fix but we have never gone at Christmas time. And although I love living in Los Angeles, (28 yrs worth), I have to say my NY roots crave a little chill in the air and a city vibe around the holiday's.
Also, this is a very long post, I usually write travel posts in two parts, but it's almost 2019 and I need to get on with it! Lol, so get comfy!
I always make THE LIST for trips of what we're going to do and where we are going to eat, especially on short trips. Not that we can't be spontanious but I find this avoids wasting time and those moments when we're all hungry and cranky and we don't know where to go! I speak from experience.
First stop The Carlton Hotel to check in. I have been staying at this hotel since my first trip to CA when I was 22. Back then it was old Victorian. Now it's eclectic chic. The location is perfect, about 15 minutes to everything we love in all directions. It has a great vibe. And you can park on the street which means no expensive hotel parking, they have it, but you don't need it. If you stay downtown or at Fisherman's Wharf you end up spending about $32 a day for parking.
Then we went over to Alamo Square to visit the painted ladies, this is a great park and the houses and park were the ones used in the opening of the show Full House way back when. Then we headed to the gorgeous Fairmont Hotel to see the life size Ginger Bread House. Last time we came on a girls trip we had tea here in the Laurel Court, very similar to tea at the Plaza in NYC. The Ginger Bread House is two stories high and is made of 6,000 homemade gingerbread blocks, 1,650 pounds of candy and 3,000 pounds of royal icing. And we even found some child size bite marks on one of the door frames lol. There's also a train that runs through it. It's really the cutest holiday display I've ever seen.
- The Carlton Hotel 1075 Sutter Street
- Pacific Heights Neighborhood and The Lyon Tree Steps use the Princess Diaries House address -2601 Lyon Street.
- Lombard Street is located between Jones & Hyde Street, put 1070 Lombard in your phone or GPS.
- Union Square 300 Powell Street best parking garage is at 123 O'Farrell Street.
- The Presideo
- Crissy Field
- Fishermans Warf - Ghiradelli Square 900 North Point Street.
- Academy of Science 55 Music Concourse Drive Golden Gate Park.
- Japanese Tea Garden
- Conservatory of Flowers
- Telegraph Hill, Coit Tower, The Greenwich Steps 231 Greenwhich Street, this will take you to the bottom of the steps, it's a small dead end street, no signs. Very cool story about this area and how it came to be.
- The Blue Barn 2105 Chestnut Street.
- Jane on Fillmore 2123 Fillmore Street.
- The Little Chihuahua 292 Divisadero Street.
- Oriental Pearl 760 Clay Street, China Town
- Capannina Ristorante 1809 Union Street, Cow Hollow neighborhood.
- The Stinking Rose 325 Columbus, North Beach neighborhood.
- Lori's Diner 500 Sutter Street.
Wishing you all Peace, Harmony, Laughter, Love, Health, Wealth and Prosperity for a Fabulous 2019!!!